[tlbuild] pdftex rebuild on 8-byte architectures

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 23:21:00 CEST 2021

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 at 23:26, Karl Berry wrote:

>     pdfTeX 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.23 (TeX Live 2022/dev)
>     kpathsea version 6.3.4/dev
>       as opposed to
>     pdfTeX 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.23 (TeX Live 2021)
>     kpathsea version 6.3.3
>
> Good point.
>
> It doesn't affect the behavior, but I suppose users may report confusion
> with the "/dev" versions. Still, it's not exactly incorrect, so fine.
> So I continue to think that whichever way is easier as the rebuild
> source is ok.

Committing trunk would have been easier (I had everything ready for
that), but less correct, so it took me a tiny bit more time to figure
out how to fix the workflow and commit this from the "correct branch".
>From now the results of rebuilds of a specific branch should in theory
always end up on a different URL than for trunk:
    https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/texlive/branches/branch2021/

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 14:43, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> > I changed the pdftex version to 1.40.23 for this. It also includes two
>
> Unfortunately that was not a good idea, now we need to update all the
> other engines, too:

Now that about half of the binaries would need to be rebuilt anyway to
fix the behaviour, it's probably a better idea to leave the source
intact and just commit changes to all the 32-bit engines and 64-bit
linux musl as well.

I committed changes to all the platforms that I'm responsible for,
including 32-bit ones.