[tlbuild] wget in TL now needs https

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Apr 22 03:26:19 CEST 2021

Karl Berry writes today:

>> As of now, the CTAN mirror list contains only https mirrors, not http.
>> This was necessary in order to cater to (broken/stupid) Chrome behavior.

Earlier today, I tried an experiment with the Utah mirror, changing
http to https on the repository URL: an update just before that change
took 3 minutes, but after the change, took more than 30 minutes, which
seems to have been spent in a connection wait, before a timeout, after
which tlmgr suggested trying a different mirror.

I discussed this with my colleague who manages our networks, and he
told me that we are close to supporting https for Web services in the
math.utah.edu and tug.ctan.org domains, but we are not there yet.

When we are, and TeX Live update and CTAN access tests show that it
works, I expect to post notes about the change to this list and the
CTAN list.