[tlbuild] TeX Live 2021 and FreeBSD 13 and 14

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Mon Mar 22 23:10:05 CET 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 15:11:18 -0600, I posted a status report on this
list about failures building TeX Live 2021 on FreeBSD 13 and 14.

Mojca asked whether executables from earlier FreeBSD versions would
work there, and I confirmed that at least "pdftex --version" from
builds on all FreeBSD versions from 10.4 to 13.0 work on FreeBSD 14.0.

I also ran ldd on all of the FreeBSD 10.4 executables on 14.0, and
found only a few missing libraries:

	libncurses.so.8 => not found (0)
	libgsl.so.23 => not found (0)
	libreadline.so.7 => not found (0)
	libncurses.so.8 => not found (0)
	libintl.so.9 => not found (0)

I made several more build attempts on FreeBSD 13 and 14 over the
weekend with various compiler versions, and altering compiler options,
without success.

I then fetched the FreeBSD-13.0-RC3-amd64-dvd1.iso image that has just
appeared, built a new VM, and retried the builds.  This time, I got a
successful build with gcc-8.4.1 compilers.  However, builds with clang
versions still fail with C++ errors.  In early January, I was able to
build all of TeX Live with both compiler families.

Over the weekend, I also resolved repeated build failures that I had
experienced with 32-bit Void Linux, which uses the MUSL C library,
instead of glibc.

The notes at

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive-utah/

have been updated accordingly.

The last unsuccessful system is Fedora 33 on RISC-V, where C++
compilation of the ICU library repeatedly fails.  I'm still trying to
get a complete build for that system: I was able to do so last year,
but so far, not this year.