[tlbuild] asy2.69 in TL

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 23:22:26 CET 2021

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 at 00:06, Karl Berry wrote:

> John Bowman has released asy 2.69, and it's in TL now. Hope it flies ...

Just to clarify: I don't remember ever attempting to build asy on
FreeBSD in the previous years.

I just tried it now. If I compile a bunch of static libraries I do
manage to get the following:

$ ./asy --version
Asymptote version 2.69 [(C) 2004 Andy Hammerlindl, John C. Bowman, Tom Prince]

ENABLED OPTIONS:
WebGL    3D HTML rendering
GSL      GNU Scientific Library (special functions)
FFTW3    Fast Fourier transforms
XDR      external data representation (portable binary file format)
Readline interactive history and editing
GC       Boehm garbage collector

DISABLED OPTIONS:
OpenGL   3D OpenGL rendering
CURL     URL support
Sigsegv  distinguish stack overflows from segmentation faults

but I have no clue whether OpenGL is feasible to do.

I suspect that there are two independent issues:
(a) asymptote could do slightly better in recognising OpenGL on FreeBSD
(b) even if (a) gets addressed, I'm afraid that there would be
portability issues, unless it's feasible to package the full freeglut
(probably not)

Regarding (a), I'm getting the following "errors":

checking for glutMainLoop in -lglut... no
configure: *** Could not find libglut: will compile without OpenGL support ***
checking for glDepthMask in -lGL... no
configure: *** Could not find libGL: will compile without OpenGL support ***

despite being able to compile a simple program with glutMainLoop(),
but I suspect that the necessary header inclusion is missing.

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?apropos=0&sektion=3&query=glut&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-current&format=html

I don't know whether it makes sense to spend any effort on this at this moment.
(Disclaimer: I'm not using asy on FreeBSD.)