[tlbuild] PowerPC 64 and 64le with LuaHBJITTeX on Linux?

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Wed Apr 22 12:59:45 CEST 2020

Am Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:58:58 +0200
schrieb "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner at suse.de>:

> Hi,
>
> my builds are breaking on our PowerPC64 hosts due the revision 7314
> of luatex ...  what is wrong with LuaHBJITTeX on Linux used on ppc64
> and/ot ppc64le?

Upstream luajit is known to be broken on PPC (not only powerpc-darwin,
but also Linux on newer full-64bit and little-endian IBM machines),
with existing fixes [1], but the upstream authors are hesitating to
merge these [2].

Hence, it is up to distributors to pull these patches for their own
luajit packages. Some Linux distros have done so [3], but TeXLive has,
for now, decided [4] against fiddling within the luajit code and
disables luajit* until upstream might provide a lower-maintenance
solution: Karl made [5] the build to look for "powerpc*" within the
target triplet and disables building luajit-dependent binaries then.

If you are building SuSE binaries (non-native builds in TL speak), it
depends on the availability of a distro-shipped luajit package to link
against that, instead of building luajit from the sources provided by
the TL repo. Although Debian ppc64el provides luajit, I haven't tried
this yet on my machine, and at least ./Build doesn't provide a
--with-system-luajit switch (yet) to make this thing trivial.

Best,
Johannes

[1] https://github.com/openresty/luajit2/pull/77
[2] https://github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/pull/140