[tlbuild] [tlbuilders] Unicode library status

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Mar 12 01:29:45 CET 2020

I reported some weeks ago on this list that a new version of the
Unicode library (-licu) was expected soon.  At this stage, I believe
that we should do nothing about it for TeX Live 2020, but we should
expect to support it for TeX Live 2021.

This announcement just came in on the announcements at unicode.org list:

>> ICU LogoUnicodeB. ICU 66 has been released. It updates to Unicode 13
>> <http://blog.unicode.org/2020/03/announcing-unicode-standard-version-130.html>,
>> including new characters, scripts, emoji, and corresponding API
>> constants. It also updates to CLDR 36.1
>> <http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-36#TOC-CLDR-36.1> with
>> Unicode 13 updates and bug fixes.
>>
>> These new, extra Q1 releases are for integration by vendors that could
>> not otherwise release their products with the newest version of Unicode.
>> These are low-impact releases with no other significant feature
>> additions or implementation changes. The next feature releases will be
>> CLDR 37 and ICU 67, scheduled for 2020 April.
>>
>> For details please see http://site.icu-project.org/download/66.
>>
>> http://blog.unicode.org/2020/03/icu-66-released.html

Unicode 13 adds more than 5000 new characters (their announcement says
5390, but the correct number is 5930 = 143_859 (Unicode 13) - 137_929
(Unicode 12)), and support for four more scripts.  See the press
release at

	http://blog.unicode.org/2020/03/