[tlbuild] ./Build modifies tracked files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Feb 17 00:25:02 CET 2020

Hi Johannes,

    `svn update` pointed me that something sometimes triggers rebuilds of

Are you sure you have the svn option use-commit-times set in the
relevant environment (at checkout time)?

    My newer makeinfo (5.1â†’6.5) introduced some changes in the quotation

FYI, I built the current .info files with makeinfo 6.7 (the latest release).

    Latest changes date back many years to Peter's work.

I update the .texi files every year. Occasionally, even for more than
the version number :).

    Is there make's file change detection mechanism too clever to realise
    that the texinfo files don't have to be rebuilt?

The problem is not make, per se (unless your make is severely buggy,
which seems unlikely here). The problem is most likely the mtimes on the
files in your checkout, like the .info being older than the .texi for
whatever reason. If you run make -d (assuming GNU make) in
Work/texk/dvipsk/ (or wherever), the output should make it
clear what dependency caused the rebuild (e.g., search for "newer than"
and "Must remake").

    Or should they be not tracked (dynamic content) in the first place.

They are in svn because I do not want to force every TL builder to have
a current, or any, Texinfo installed. That cure would be worse than the
disease. I realize that many (most) other packages make different
choices wrt generated files. All I can say is, for TL, I think this is
the best way.

(All of this has been discussed many times before.) --best, karl.

P.S. For the travis autobuild, Norbert simply touches all generated
files before doing the build (from Build/source/.travis.yaml). Maybe you
could do something similar, if no other solution presents itself.

 find . -name \*.info -exec touch '{}' \;
 touch ./texk/detex/detex-src/detex.c
 touch ./texk/detex/detex-src/detex.h
 touch ./texk/gregorio/gregorio-src/src/gabc/gabc-score-determination.c
 touch ./texk/gregorio/gregorio-src/src/gabc/gabc-score-determination.h
 touch ./texk/gregorio/gregorio-src/src/vowel/vowel-rules.h
 touch ./texk/web2c/omegafonts/pl-lexer.c
 touch ./texk/web2c/omegafonts/pl-parser.c
 touch ./texk/web2c/omegafonts/pl-parser.h
 touch ./texk/web2c/otps/otp-lexer.c
 touch ./texk/web2c/otps/otp-parser.c
 touch ./texk/web2c/otps/otp-parser.h
 touch ./texk/web2c/web2c/web2c-lexer.c
 touch ./texk/web2c/web2c/web2c-parser.c
 touch ./texk/web2c/web2c/web2c-parser.h
 touch ./utils/asymptote/camp.tab.cc
 touch ./utils/asymptote/camp.tab.h
 touch ./utils/lacheck/lacheck.c
 touch ./utils/xindy/xindy-src/tex2xindy/tex2xindy.c