[tlbuild] more c++ agony, now with harfbuzz

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 13:24:08 CEST 2019

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 06:04, Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Στις Κυρ, 2 Ιουν 2019 στις 1:20 π.μ., ο/η Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
> έγραψε:
>
>>     > Harfbuzz 2.5.0 fails to compile with the centos7-provided compiler
>>
>> For the record, being discussed at
>> https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/issues/1724.  Other people before
>> us reported it. Don't know if a fix will come.  The problematic C++
>> feature in question remains obscure to me :(, so I reiterate my plea for
>> anyone else to take a look. --thanks, karl.
>>

> Hello,
>
> It would be nice to state that this problem exists because you are trying
>

> to compile with gcc 4.8. Of course if this is the default compiler, then
> this
> is a real problem. BTW,  on OpenIndiana I have compiled the latest
> source tree with gcc 6.5.0 and there is absolutely no problem.
> A.S.

It is worth noting that many developers are using current compilers and
creating software that does not build on older systems.   A solution that
moves to newer compilers should reduce the number instances where
new versions need patches and workarounds to support older compilers.

Devtoolsets originally (RHEL5) provided newer gcc versions and other tools
that produced binaries targeted for the base OS.   I'm not sure if that is
still
possible with all the C++ changes, but google found:

https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/devtoolset-7/

--
George N. White III