[tlbuild] TeX Live 2019 build issues on Debian systems

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Apr 2 08:20:13 CEST 2019

Hi Nelson,

interesting long email, but unfortunately wrong in all points :-(
Let me correct you:

> xdvi.c) have hardcoded #include directives with the path X11/Xaw/...,
> and the configure.ac script makes similar assumptions in its tests.
>
> The problem is that Debian 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 do not have any package
> that installs into /usr/include/X11/Xaw, or supplies a library called
> /some/path/to/file/libXaw.so.

Since ages these files have been there, and they are there also in buster:

$ dlocate /usr/include/X11/Xaw
libxaw7-dev:amd64: /usr/include/X11/Xaw
libxaw7-dev:amd64: /usr/include/X11/Xaw/AllWidgets.h
libxaw7-dev:amd64: /usr/include/X11/Xaw/AsciiSink.h
libxaw7-dev:amd64: /usr/include/X11/Xaw/AsciiSinkP.h

$ dlocate libXaw.so
libxaw7-dev:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXaw.so
libxaw7:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXaw.so.7

> My first inclination was to modify *.[ch] and configure.ac files for
> xdvik, but I decided to first try an experiment: as root (which I can

Not necessary. TL including xdvi compiles without problems.

> 	# ln -s Xaw3d /usr/include/X11/Xaw

Not necessary since /usr/include/X11/Xaw is already there, if you
install the necessary packages.

> I traced the source of that problem, and fixed it with another
> symlink:
>
> 	ln -s libXaw.so.7 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXaw.so

Again, a simple installation of the -dev package would have succeeded.

BTW, reading the documentation would also help. In
	source/README.1prerequisites
at the very end there is written:
	   As an example, on Debian systems the necessary build dependencies can
	be installed via:

	     apt-get install libfontconfig-dev libx11-dev libxmu-dev libxaw7-dev

which would have given you the correct files all correctly in place.

> If other O/S distributions take the view that Xaw can be dropped in
> favor of Xaw3d or Xaw3dxft6 or Xaw3dxft8, then the hardcoded

I guess that *no* other distribution is doing this. Debian isn't doing
it.

Enjoy

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer