[tlbuild] TeX Live 2019 build issues on Debian systems

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Apr 1 23:29:51 CEST 2019

    Ideally, we should used statically-linked -lXaw* libraries

I haven't tried recently, but years ago, statically linking all the X
libraries was not feasible. It was not just carelessness or lack of
considering it. There were too many kernel and low-level library
dependencies. Somehow I suspect that situation has become worse, not
better.

    amount to only 10 to 20 lines affecting only four files (one of which,
    configure.ac, is used to generate the configure script).

I agree that xdvi's configure script needs to adapt. Paul Vojta is on
this list. If you can easily produce the patch, I surmise he would be
happy to install it, or perhaps he could use access to a Debian 10 system.
Anyway, I don't think we need to address this for the TL'19 release,
since Debian 10 itself may change.

Distros' lack of concern for compatibility is nothing new, and also only
grows worse with time. It is tiring. -k