[tlbuild] xz, wget, lz4 updates

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 07:34:25 CET 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 23:51, Karl Berry wrote:

> There are new versions of xz (https://tukaani.org/xz/xz-5.2.4.tar.xz)
> and wget (https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/wget-1.20.1.tar.gz)
> and lz4 (https://github.com/lz4/lz4/archive/v1.8.3.tar.gz)
> since the last TL release.
> The updates are not crucial, but if you're up for it, please provide
> binaries for your platforms (if necessary, for wget and lz4).

A totally serious question: do we still need or want to provide wget
binaries for Darwin?
Given that it's not realistically feasible to statically compile
support for SSL, I find it much better to use the system curl.
(Granted, SSL does not work with out-of-the-box binaries on 10.7 and
earlier, but the majority of mirrors are still available without
encryption, so this is not a serious issue, and nothing that a bundled
wget could solve, either.)

What do we use lz4 for and should any special flags be used? Is there
a plan to switch from xz to lz4 in the future?
It might be nice to add a short section on
    https://tug.org/texlive/build.html