[tlbuild] building for distribution with shared breaks in dvisvgm

Martin Gieseking martin.gieseking at uos.de
Fri Sep 7 10:20:41 CEST 2018

Hi Norbert,

> sorry for all the bug reports ...

That's not a problem. I'll have a look. :-)

> I have packages xxhash and uploaded to Debian, and now tried to compile
> with libxxhash-dev, libbrotli-dev, libwoff-dev, libpotrace-dev
> installed, and running
> 	../configure --disable-all-pkgs --enable-dvisvgm --disable-native-texlive-build

> /usr/bin/ld: dvisvgm.o: in function `print_version':
> /home/norbert/Development/TeX/texlive.git/Build/source/Work/texk/dvisvgm/dvisvgm-src/src/../../../../../texk/dvisvgm/dvisvgm-src/src/dvisvgm.cpp:249: undefined reference to `potrace_version'
[...]
> That means, that none of the shlibs (xxhash, brotli, potrace, gs, woff)
> are added to the load stage.
>
> Looking at the adaptions of TeX Live to your sources I don't see any
> reason for that, though.

Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the details of TeX Live's build
system. As far as I understand the linking issue, configure doesn't set
the variables FOO_LIBS, like POTRACE_LIBS. The original dvisvgm config
script calls PGK_CHECK_MODULES to get the compiler and linker flags
required for the system libraries which in turn populates FOO_CFLAGS and
FOO_LIBS. The Makefiles generated by the TL build system don't seem to
define them anywhere, though.

Martin