[tlbuild] Unable to compile dvisvgm (linux x86_64, system libs)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 8 00:42:08 CET 2018

    So the current source decides to use -ldl instead of -lgs.  Clearly
    I do have libgs.so, but it is not found when using this approach.

With --enable-native-texlive-build, I explicitly disable linking against
libgs at build time, because the result is unlikely to run on other
versions of the same system; libgs has its own set of painful
dependencies, all of which then get pulled into the binary. Thus libgs
is always dlloaded for native TL.

If you're not using --enable-native-texlive-build, then probably
something in the way I implemented the above is causing the failure to
find libgs.  Please take a look at dvisvgm/configure.ac, search for "TL:".

As for the load problem,
    libdvisvgm.a(Ghostscript.o): In function `Ghostscript::~Ghostscript()':
    Ghostscript.cpp:(.text+0xd0): undefined reference to `gsapi_exit'
I just don't know. Sorry.

You might find it easier to work with the upstream dvisvgm and disable
it as part of TL. (Depending on how you handle kpathsea in LFS, I guess.)

Sorry I don't have any real answers ... please let me know if you
discover changes I should insert. --thanks, karl.