[tlbuild] Support for musl

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Jan 23 02:03:24 CET 2018

Hi Henri,

> https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/testing/texlive/APKBUILD
> The ./Build script does not work out-of-the-box because headers are located in different directories
> than expected.  I'll see whether I can fix this somehow but I'm not an autotools wizard.

That is surprising - checking the abovce APKBUILD it contains nothing
but configure/make invocation, no patching and now magic to adjust the
search paths.

What is the actual error you get using ./Build?

> Unfortunately, this does not meet the requirements of official TeX live because it is dynamically
> linked against system libraries rather than statically linked.

Do you mean you want to provide new sets of binaries for TeX Live to be
distributed?

I guess the problem is that the binaries provided by us for x86_64-linux
are linked against libc and thus not work on your system.

> by sarcastic responses.  My question is not how to build TeX live for musl in general but how to add
> official support for upcoming releases (hence the question "Do I have to provide build

Ok, this is a different question. From your side there is in principle
nothing to do but provide the binaries.

But our TL internal scripts will probably not work, because I guess we
cannot easily distinguish between the version of libc.

Furthermore, all our installer/tlmgr scripts do only distinguish between
arch/os, but do not take libc into account. What you are proposing is
extending the architectures
  i386-linux
  x86_64-linux
  i386-linux-libc
  i386-linux-musl
  x86_64-linux-libc
  x86_64-linux-musl
For that to work out we need LOTS of time, and that will surely not work
out for TL2018 which is going to start to put together rather soon.

There is much more to do in the deep guts of TeX Live than just
building.

What we *CAN* do is
- you provide us a set of binaries, which we make available on our pages
- users of musl-based dists can use the -custom-bin option of the
  installer (see docs) to install the system using the provided
  binaries.

This is not the best, but it is a feasible option, see
  https://www.tug.org/texlive/custom-bin.html

> I could envision that future releases of TeX live also provide a container-based version which can
> then be used easily in continuous integration services.

Can you be more specific? Do you want a container/docker script that
installs TL? Or a ready made container image?

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer