[tlbuild] Support for musl

Henri henrimenke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 01:43:23 CET 2018

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your kind response.  In fact Alpine Linux, the distribution with musl I am using,
ships TeX live in its repositories, so it is possible to build TeX live on musl.  Here is their
build script:
https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/testing/texlive/APKBUILD

Unfortunately, this does not meet the requirements of official TeX live because it is dynamically
linked against system libraries rather than statically linked.

The ./Build script does not work out-of-the-box because headers are located in different directories
than expected.  I'll see whether I can fix this somehow but I'm not an autotools wizard.

Furthermore, it seems to me that my question was misunderstood and I apologise for getting offended
by sarcastic responses.  My question is not how to build TeX live for musl in general but how to add
official support for upcoming releases (hence the question "Do I have to provide build
infrastructure?").

I hope it is possible for TeX live to support those platforms.  The number of Linux distributions
using musl is growing and Alpine Linux for instance is quite popular in the container business (e.g.
Docker) due to its tiny memory footprint thanks to musl.
https://wiki.musl-libc.org/projects-using-musl.html#Linux-distributions-using-musl

I could envision that future releases of TeX live also provide a container-based version which can
then be used easily in continuous integration services.

Cheers, Henri