[tlbuild] New xindy: Undefined symbol "locale_charset"

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Thu May 8 01:18:10 CEST 2014

Nikola Lečić writes:
> On Wed, 7 May 2014 02:20:53 +0200 Joachim Schrod <jschrod at acm.org> wrote:
>
> > It's been caused by FreeBSD update libiconv-1.14_2 to
> > libiconv-1.14_3,
>
> The ticket mentions this:
>
>   The previous commit made git use nl_langinfo instead of
>   locale_charset but did not bump PORTREVISION. Bump it now that
>   libiconv no longer exports locale_charset.
>
> > It has not been caused by the update to xindy 2.5.0 in TL 2014; TL
> > 2013 won't run on current FreeBSDs either.
> >
> > It seems as if FreeBSD introduced a binary incompatibility, without
> > increasing the libiconv.so version number.
> >
> > No comment on that. :-/
>
> This is not how it goes, at least in FreeBSD. FreeBSD doesn't
> increase .so version numbers in third-party software, but bumps
> PORTREVISION of the port if needed (which was done in this case, cf.
> the SVN log). Then, all other ports that depend on libiconv should
> simply get their PORTREVISIONs bumped as well (unless no binary
> incompatibility was introduced).

FTR, I simply didn't understand what the FreeBSD folks are doing. I
don't have any experiance with that kind of distribution. In my
experience (commercial Unixes and enterprise Linux distributions),
binary incompatibility is frowned upon and not handled by recompiles.

So, please accept my apologies if I offended anybody with the comments
above.

> > A resolution of that problem that covers both old and current
> > FreeBSD installations is not available (yet?).
>
> A resolution will be to build clisp without libiconv (you said that
> xindy functionality doesn't depend on it), and that's exactly what
> I'm trying to do right now.

As I wrote you in private email, there's no documented way for that
kind of build; I was only guessing what could be possible.

Best,
	Joachim