[tlbuild] New xindy: Undefined symbol "locale_charset"

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Wed May 7 14:46:08 CEST 2014

On Wed, 7 May 2014 02:20:53 +0200
Joachim Schrod <jschrod at acm.org> wrote:

> For the archives:
>
> It's been caused by FreeBSD update libiconv-1.14_2 to
> libiconv-1.14_3,

Also for the archives - this is the change in question:

  http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=348854

> as mentioned in ticket

The ticket mentions this:

  The previous commit made git use nl_langinfo instead of
  locale_charset but did not bump PORTREVISION. Bump it now that
  libiconv no longer exports locale_charset.

> It has not been caused by the update to xindy 2.5.0 in TL 2014; TL
> 2013 won't run on current FreeBSDs either.
>
> It seems as if FreeBSD introduced a binary incompatibility, without
> increasing the libiconv.so version number.
>
> No comment on that. :-/

This is not how it goes, at least in FreeBSD. FreeBSD doesn't
increase .so version numbers in third-party software, but bumps
PORTREVISION of the port if needed (which was done in this case, cf.
the SVN log). Then, all other ports that depend on libiconv should
simply get their PORTREVISIONs bumped as well (unless no binary
incompatibility was introduced).

We build TL (including clisp and xindy) outside of that automated
building system, which sometimes causes minor inconveniences. Nobody
did anything wrong - there was a problem and you located it, that's all.

> A resolution of that problem that covers both old and current
> FreeBSD installations is not available (yet?).

A resolution will be to build clisp without libiconv (you said that
xindy functionality doesn't depend on it), and that's exactly what I'm
trying to do right now.

- --
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B