[tlbuild] dvisvgm

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Sun Apr 27 06:18:28 CEST 2014

Karl: Thinking about "If he can build something that doesn't depend
on varying system .so's" and the following:

 >|    I just did Build --with-libgs (on Centos-6)
 >|
 >|CentOS6 is a completely different case. I am not going to build
 >|dvisvgm in a different configuration than the rest of TL.
 >|
 >|I am using stock centos 5[.10], fully patched. I can't see that
 >|the system is at fault.
 >|
 >|To repeat: the conflict is in memory management, between the
 >|statically linked libstdc++ with g++ 4.8.2 that I use to compile,
 >|and the dynamically-found older system libstdc++ that the
 >|dynamically-found system libgs pulls in. dvisvgm -Vyes crashes
 >|trying to get the version number from libgs unless I disable it
 >|entirely.

So you're using a relatively recent gcc on a relatively ancient
Centos-5 system. Can I ask why this combination is appropriate? Why
couldn't all of TL for i386-linux be built on, for example, a stock
Centos-6 system using the stock gcc-4.4.7, or, if necessary, a more
recent gcc? Just trying to understand what are the relevant issues.

Best,
Bob T.