[tlbuild] Patching pdftex

Florian Breitwieser florian.bw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 16:48:23 CET 2013

Hello Norbert,

Thanks for the answer. Indeed this is the most reasonable way. I now
used the TexLive 2013 source, and it compiled without problems using
system kpathsea. Complete configure options:

./configure
    --disable-cxx-runtime-hack  \
    --disable-all-pkgs      \
    --disable-ptex        \
    --enable-pdftex       \
    --disable-native-texlive-build \
    --without-mf-x-toolkit    \
    --without-x         \
    --disable-shared      \
    --disable-largefile     \
    --with-system-xpdf      \
    --with-system-zlib      \
    --with-system-pnglib    \
    --disable-multiplatform   \
    --with-system-kpathsea    \
    --with-system-ptexenc

I have, however, still the issue that the newly compiled pdftex does
not see what system kpathsea sees:

# kpsewhich pdfetex.ini
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/plain/config/pdfetex.ini

# ~/bin/pdftex -ini -etex pdfetex.ini        # <-- patched pdftex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013) (INITEX)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `pdfetex.ini'.
<*> pdfetex.ini

# /usr/bin/pdftex -ini -etex pdfetex.ini   # <-- system pdftex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/Arch
Linux) (INITEX)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/plain/config/pdfetex.ini
... etc

For setting up the patched pdftex locally, I used the recipe from this
answer: [2]. Am I missing something?

[1] http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/98972/17557