[tlbuild] ttf2pk versus ttf2pk2

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 31 21:47:18 CEST 2013

On Wed, 31/7/13, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> > ttf2tfm always generates half-width for font
 dimensions, even for

> This may be due to different behaviour of FreeType 2.

I am not looking at ttf2pk2. I already explained that I don't want to spend time on that at all,
as it just isn't confidence-inspiring when it is apparent that the new version has not
been used on the most common usage.

The posted differences (2/3 same, 20% differs in font-dimension where the old
has fixed fontdimension width/xheight, 10% where indeterminism were also in old,
and new subfonts #00, #56, #57)
is comparing 13359 tfm files of nearly 300 font instances which have been sitting in my hard
disk for about 10 years, versus the newly generated ones from patched ttf2tfm
(the freetype 1 version) fixed for indeterminism and floating-point exception.

The number of new #00 suffonts is 80 (in just under 300 font instances) - that
means it applies to about 30% of font instances. If it isn't a progression,
it is another indeterminism. Likewise for the font dimension width/xheight - it was fixed to
0.5 width and 0.4 height 10-years ago, but are floating now. I hope
it is a progression, but I still need a reference.