[tlbuild] TL2012 aix 4.3 build report

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu May 17 10:05:44 CEST 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

> 4) aix-patch-poppler.diff - add const declarations, to fix compile problem.
>   The cause and a way to fix is the same as discussed in
>   http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2010q2/001541.html

Hi Vladimir,

I have tried to apply this patch and rebuild poppler+luatex.  Contrary to
what you assume in your message from 2010 cited above, this change is not at
all harmless for gcc (3.4.5 linux -> mingw cross, 4.4.7 linux native): the
compilation of libpoppler.a succeeds but linking luatex fails with duplicate
symbols.

So, it seems this problem with "initialization of static const data members
inside the class definition" is specific to xlc, or maybe to the version of
xlc that comes with AIX 4.3 (from 1999 or so).

Thus I think you'll have to live with your patches (for icu and poppler)
applied locally.

Regards
Peter