[tlbuild] (Unwanted?) Dependencies on libfreetype and libexpat on Solaris 10

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu
Thu Apr 26 20:48:46 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:11:10PM -0600, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> Ettore Aldrovandi remarks that his builds of TeX Live 2012 for 64-bit
> Solaris get references to these libraries:
>
> 	2 /usr/sfw/lib/64/libexpat.so.0
> 	2 /usr/sfw/lib/64/libfreetype.so.6
>
> I avoid that problem by forcing linking with the lib*.a files; the
> scripts at
>
> 	http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/tlbuild/

Actually the libfreetype.a in the source tree gets linked as expected.
The extra dependencies listed above (and they are there in the 32-bit
builds too, w/o the /64/ of course) are due to libfontconfig.  If those
builds from Solaris 10 are run on Solaris 11, the libraries will be
found under /usr/lib, so it doesn't appear to be a concern.  On the
other hand---and that was the reason for the initiating this
thread---the question is whether one can reasonably expect /usr/sfw to
be present in all or most Solaris 10 installations.

--Ettore

--
Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University