[tlbuild] (Unwanted?) Dependencies on libfreetype and libexpat on Solaris 10

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Apr 26 22:15:59 CEST 2012

Ettore Aldrovandi asks about the Solaris shared library dependency
issue:

    >> whether one can reasonably expect /usr/sfw to
    >> be present in all or most Solaris 10 installations.

No, one cannot expect that, because /usr/sfw is an optional tree that
many managers never install.  That is why I want to restrict shared
library references on Solaris to /usr/lib, /lib, and /usr/openwin/lib,
and their 64-bit counterparts, all of which can be expected to be
available.  The /usr/openwin tree might be absent from a server
machine, but I expect most Solaris (7, 8, 9, 10, 11) systems have it.

However, we cannot supply only 64-bit Solaris binaries, because
Solaris can be installed in 32-bit only mode.  That is why I have
built TeX Live 2012 for both 32-bit and 64-bit memory sizes, and for
SPARC, x86_64, and x86.

Unlike Mac OS X, Solaris has no concept of a universal binary : a
single file containing executable code for 1 or more architectures.
In my experience, creating universal binaries for Mac OS X is
problematic: compilations only have to fail on one of the needed
platforms for the procedure to derail.