[tlbuild] pmx and libf2c

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Sun Mar 25 18:24:15 CEST 2012

This is a continuation of the thread that followed from the following
message on the tex-live list:

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/tex-live/2010-October/027426.html

To summarize and focus on the pmx aspects, pmx is a pre-processor for
musixtex. In addition to some TeX macros etc., which are unproblematic,
there are two executables in the package, pmxab and scor2prt whose
sources are in Fortran. (I am not the developer and the developer knows
only Fortran.) It would be desirable to have pmx in TeXLive.

The sources can be compiled using gfortran but I've been advised that
TeXLive does not support gfortran.

Translation by hand to Lua or C isn't feasible: the source for pmxab is
some 24K LOC and is still being developed.

Translation using f2c and compilation of the resulting C code works
well. But linking requires libf2c for every architecture.

libf2c sources are available and are almost completely architecture
independent. I've put the libf2c sources in a sub-directory and set
up a configure script and Makefiles using autotools; the pmx binaries
build succesfully using the resulting libf2c library on three Linux
variants. I have no knowledge of whether this will be the case on other
architectures.

My questions:

First: am I in the right place?

Second: If so, I have a question about licensing. The pmx sources are
GPL v.1 and the lib2c license seems to be the following Notice:

  /****************************************************************
  Copyright 1990 - 1997 by AT&T, Lucent Technologies and Bellcore.

  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
  and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
  granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
  copies and that both that the copyright notice and this
  permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting
  documentation, and that the names of AT&T, Bell Laboratories,
  Lucent or Bellcore or any of their entities not be used in
  advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
  software without specific, written prior permission.

  AT&T, Lucent and Bellcore disclaim all warranties with regard to
  this software, including all implied warranties of
  merchantability and fitness.  In no event shall AT&T, Lucent or
  Bellcore be liable for any special, indirect or consequential
  damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use,
  data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or
  other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the
  use or performance of this software.

Is a package that combines GPLv.1 sources and sources licensed as
above distributable, and, if so, under what licence?

Third:  Assuming I'm still good to go, what do I do now?  I've
installed and built the development sources as outlined here:

http://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html

As I am already well beyond my depth, please give very explicit
instructions.

Thanks.
Bob T.