[tlbuild] Building on Mac

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Mar 21 23:09:05 CET 2012

    I'm probably rushing the gun, but I decided to build the current source
    on Mac OS X.

It is definitely good to give it a try now.  Glad you did.
(And if anyone else has a moment, go for it.)  The crucial thing is just
not to commit any new binaries :).

    /Users/koch/texlive2012dev/source/Work/texk/kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a
    ld: bl out of range (-18576024 max is +/-16M) from
    __static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)at 0x01390030 in
    __StaticInit of libxetex.a(libxetex_a-XeTeXLayoutInterface.o) to
    __ZNSt8ios_base4InitC1Ev$stub$island at 0x001D8DDC in __text of xetex in
    __static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)from
    libxetex.a(libxetex_a-XeTeXLayoutInterface.o) collect2: ld returned 1

Ugh.

Are the options and compiler the same as building TL'11?  I mean, does
building TL'11 still succeed on this machine?

Remind me what version "Leopard" is?  I think the only Mac server I have
access to is Nelson's, where uname reports 9.8.0, which I suspect is too
old?

At any rate, to reiterate what I said on the tex-live list for the
benefit of those who are only here, I'm going to be offline for a few
days; back online Monday.  So no hurry on anything from my perspective.

karl