[tlbuild] texlive and politics...

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Tue Mar 20 02:31:20 CET 2012

NP> From: Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>
NP> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 07:11:52 +0900

>> However, right now there is a technical problem: tlmgr assumes there
>> is only one repository; you can change it to tlcontrib, but then you
>> lose the core one

NP> Well, that is not right, you can use both. I had my default set to
NP> ctan, and now and then did
NP>   tlmgr --repo ...tlcontrib update --all
NP>   tlmgr update --all # now from main
NP> so users are already free to do that.

Yes, this is exactly the solution Will suggested in the article I
quoted.  Maybe I was wrong calling it "contortions", but this is not
really straightforward. If a package is present in both repositories
with different versions, it might lead to wrong behavior.  The
"debian-like" behavior when I put the list of repositories into a
config file and do "tlmgr update --all" is more intuitive.

--
Good luck

-Boris

Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools.
		-- George Chapman