[tlbuild] compilation problem: curses

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:46:08 CEST 2011

On 14 Aug 2011, at 14:06, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> I have a question about compilation of TL. I tried to compile the
>> trunk version of TL on Debian Squeeze (mips64) and I get a report
>> about missing curses. (I will retry with the tag 2011, but it takes a
>> loooooot of time.)
>
> Hi Mojca,
>
> and it won't change anything.
>
>> It seems to me that libncurses is installed, but I'm not sure what
>> this error means exactly. Is it something wrong in the building
>> scripts or something missing on machine?
>
> where is the library (libncurses.so or libncurses.a) and where are the
> headers?  You may have to add configure options such that they are found.

It may be necessary to install a libncurses-dev package (or some similar name) in order to get the header files. I don't know how Debian organizes things, but some distros have separate "user" and "development" packages, and so just installing the library (for programs that need it at runtime) isn't enough to provide the development files needed for compilation.

JK