[tlbuild] ICU and gcc 4.4

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 12 01:05:03 CEST 2010

Hi Tobias,

I guess I'll reply publicly for the sake of the archives and posterity.

    could you explain what you did to make ICU build with gcc 4.4?
    You mention a fix here but didn,Ab€™(Bt attach the patch.
    http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2010q2/001377.html

Our issue was not about building ICU itself (which went fine), but with
the subsequent builds of xetex and bibtexu in TL tree, depending on ICU.
The UTF16 string flags were not propagated, and it all became a tangled
mess.

What I did was add the following to our (TL's) icu/configure.ac, and
patched icu/source/configure.in with the attached, which merely adds
this new --disable flag.

# Add '--disable-utf16-string-check': gcc 4.4+ supports this, but
# XeTeX/BibTeXU don't need it, and propagating the necessary compiler
# flags as computed by ICU is not easy.
icu_config="$icu_config --disable-utf16-string-check"
AC_SUBST([icu_config])

Peter B later pointed out to me that we could use
       ./config/icu-config --detect-prefix --cppflags
       ./config/icu-config --detect-prefix --cflags
       ./config/icu-config --detect-prefix --cxxflags

to get the right flags.  However, neither he nor I have messed with the
xetex/bibtexu configure to do that, since the disabling of the utf16
string check suffices for now.

Hope this helps,
Karl