[tlbuild] asy and kpsewhich and tex

John Bowman bowman at math.ualberta.ca
Thu Jun 10 00:32:23 CEST 2010

> Looking at the asymptote configure.ac and settings.cc, I perceive the
> following:
>
> 1) when --enable-texlive-build is specified (as we do, of course), then
>    kpsewhich from PATH is (unconditionally) used to self-locate everything.
>    This is what we want.

Yes, this is the only thing kpsewhich is used for.

> 2) the presence or absence of kpsewhich at build time is irrelevant to
>    the final result in our case.  (It is merely used to determine
>    default values for directories in the *non*-texlive case.)

In the non-texlive case, kpsewhich is not used at all (unless someone tries
to fool asy into thinking it is part of texlive by specifying asy --sysdir='').

> 3) the presence or absence of any other tex programs at build time is
>    also irrelevant to the final result in the texlive case.

Yes, since I believe your texlive build doesn't attempt to build the
manual, that is correct.

-- John