[tlbuild] asy and kpsewhich and tex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jun 10 00:18:39 CEST 2010

Looking at the asymptote configure.ac and settings.cc, I perceive the
following:

1) when --enable-texlive-build is specified (as we do, of course), then
   kpsewhich from PATH is (unconditionally) used to self-locate everything.
   This is what we want.

2) the presence or absence of kpsewhich at build time is irrelevant to
   the final result in our case.  (It is merely used to determine
   default values for directories in the *non*-texlive case.)

3) the presence or absence of any other tex programs at build time is
   also irrelevant to the final result in the texlive case.

John, please confirm or correct?  (The question has arisen.)

Thanks,
karl