[tlbuild] Building xindy for TL2010: two questions

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Jun 9 09:24:49 CEST 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Joachim Schrod wrote:

> For distributions that is true.

Hi Joachim, Vladimir, ...

let me first answer the original question.  TL uses a version of
configure.ac adapted to the TL requirements.

The default value for '--enable-xindy-rules' and '--enable-xindy-docs' is no
in a `native TeX Live build' and yes otherwise.

Finally $enable_xindy_rules=yes && $LATEX=no gives an error, same for
$enable_xindy_docs=yes &&  $enable_xindy_rules=yes && $PDFLATEX=no.

So an attempt to build rules or docs files (explicitly requested or selected
as default) will fail without LATEX/PDFLATEX.

> But there is a 3rd group of users: Those who want to compile a new
> xindy release from source themselves. Maybe a pre-release to give me
> feedback -- and I would like to care for these users, there are so few
> of them. For this use case, build prerequisites are not handled
> automatically.
>
> Well, and 4 out of 6 reactions to the xindy 2.4 pre-release files was:
> The build does not succeed. The reason was always that some LaTeX
> language support file was missing that was needed to create the
> respective inputenc merge rules. So I'm inclined to give up here and
> distribute the generated files.

Please let us postpone this question for post TL2010.

Regards
Peter