[tlbuild] Building xindy for TL2010: two questions

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Wed Jun 9 09:02:25 CEST 2010

Vladimir Volovich writes:
> "JS" == Joachim Schrod writes:
>
>  JS> Probably we should simply distribute the generated files as part of
>  JS> xindy's source, LaTeX inputenc files don't change any more. That's
>  JS> similar to distributing C files that got generated by lex.
>
> similarly, in
> distributions, xindy build dependencies could easily include the
> necessary latex packages. if some "normal user" is building xindy from
> source, it is reasonable to expect him to have latex available during
> the build, since xindy is going to be used together with latex anyway.

For distributions that is true.

But there is a 3rd group of users: Those who want to compile a new
xindy release from source themselves. Maybe a pre-release to give me
feedback -- and I would like to care for these users, there are so few
of them. For this use case, build prerequisites are not handled
automatically.

Well, and 4 out of 6 reactions to the xindy 2.4 pre-release files was:
The build does not succeed. The reason was always that some LaTeX
language support file was missing that was needed to create the
respective inputenc merge rules. So I'm inclined to give up here and
distribute the generated files.

	Joachim

Joachim Schrod			Email: jschrod at acm.org
xindy maintainer		http://www.xindy.org/