[tlbuild] Building xindy for TL2010: two questions

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Wed Jun 9 01:28:45 CEST 2010

Karl Berry writes:

Hi Karl, Nikola,

> (Cc-ing Joachim.)
>
>     (1) In clean environment, xindy-2.4 configure output looks like this:
>     i.e. there is no TeX programs available. This was fatal with
>     xindy-2.4pre2 (xindy-new at that time). Is this a problem?
>
> I don't think so.  (About building the doc, as I recall?)  Joachim?

Sorry, but this is a problem: LaTeX is used to create a mapping of
inputenc charactes to LICR macro codes. E.g., that's how we discover
that \"a in a raw LaTeX index means ä, or that "\IeC {\ss }" is "ß".

Probably we should simply distribute the generated files as part of
xindy's source, LaTeX inputenc files don't change any more. That's
similar to distributing C files that got generated by lex.

Peter, I'll contact you off list tomorrow evening; most probably I
need some auto{conf,make} help how to do that.

>     (2) It would be very useful to use clisp built without NLS support
>     (--disable-nls). This removes gettext dependency in resulting xindy
>     components (a nice thing for *BSD users who usually compile everything
>     on their systems, esp. having in mind very recent gettext shlib
>     version bump, intl.8 -> intl.9). Is this ok?
>
> It sounds good to me, but again, Joachim should confirm.

That's a very good suggestion. Vladimir's proposal to get rid of ffi
is on the mark as well.

Best,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod			Email: jschrod at acm.org