[tlbuild] kpsewhich problem [Cygwin]

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Dec 20 00:41:43 CET 2009

    Without reverting those line in kpsewhich.c,

Which, as I said, I just did.

    the installation of current (trunk) TeXLive is broken at least on
    Cygwin and GNU/Linux Kubuntu 9.10.

Yes, your previous reports made that clear.  Thanks for trying out the
reversion.

    When those lines were removed, was there someone who tested the
    consequences?

I tested some things, like .fmt files still being found, etc.  An
unexplained hang in updmap was hardly predictable, or any kind of real
explanation as to what is going on.  But as I also said, I don't feel
like spending more time debugging it.

    I do not know that code, I have only flagged the problems I meat and one
    possible workaround. Who designed kpsewhich.c could have better ideas.

Yeah, well, I "designed" it and Olaf Weber wrote that particular bit of
code.  I don't doubt that it is needed.