[tlbuild] Build failure in libs/icu/

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Oct 9 17:10:51 CEST 2009

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Ingmar Vanhassel wrote:

> I'm doing the following:
>  tar xf /var/cache/paludis/distfiles/texlive-20091009-source.tar.xz
>  cd texlive-20091009-source/
>  ./configure --disable-native-texlive-build --disable-multiplatform --enable-shared
>  make

Hi Ingmar,

congratulation, you have found yet another bug in the TL2009 build system:
building in the source directory doesn't work.

So you must do a VPATH build (srcdir != builddir), e.g.,
   tar xf WHATEVER/texlive-20091009-source.tar.xz
   rm -rf texlive-20091009-build # just in case
   mkdir texlive-20091009-build
   cd texlive-20091009-build
   ../texlive-20091009-source/configure OPTIONS
or use the Build script where you can overwrite all options via TL_*=*

> I do have icu installed so I'd prefer to use the system copy, but there doesn't
> seem to be a configure option for it afaics.

XeTeX requires a modified version of the ICU libraries but I hope that will
change for TL2010.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>