[tlbuild] asymptote build

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:52:16 CEST 2009

On 6/23/2009 3:48 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard ha scritto:
>> Angelo Graziosi a écrit :

>>> Which is the recipe to build asymptote on Cygwin?
>>
>> I thought the Cygwin binaries (as well as the windows ones) were to be
>> provided
>> by asymptote's maintainer?
>

> Yes, I know, but I would to tray...

Hi Angelo,

John Bowman, one of the asymptote developers, has built binaries that
work both in native windows and in cygwin.  The two needed for cygwin
(asy.exe and freeglut.dll) are in the asymptote.i386-cygwin package.
They should work in both cygwin 1.5 and 1.7.  I tested them in 1.7 only.

The build process is complicated largely because cygwin's opengl support
is in a confusing state.  It should get better at some point; people are
working on it.  There's a lot of correspondence in the cygwin lists
about this.  I decided it wasn't worth the trouble for me to try to
replicate the build, since John was providing working binaries.

I did ask him to send me the build instructions, because I thought as
texlive's "official" cygwin builder, I should have them.  But I don't
think it's appropriate for me to forward private email to the list, so
it has to be up to Karl and John to decide how they want to document the
build publicly.  Or maybe the instructions already exist in some public
place (asymptote web site or mailing list?).

Ken