[tlbuild] Using external poppler

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 20:19:42 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Edd Barrett<vext01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Peter Breitenlohner<peb at mppmu.mpg.de> wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, vext01 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I am having problems using --with-system-xpdf with a recent snapshot.
>>>
>>> configure: checking requested system `xpdf' library...
>>> checking for free... no
>>
>> Hi Edd,
>>
>> this is the first problem: free() is not found. Why?
>
> No idea. Very odd. Obviously there is a free() on my system.
>

>>> checking goo/gtypes.h usability... no
>>> checking goo/gtypes.h presence... no
>>> checking for goo/gtypes.h... no
>>> configure: error: some requested system libraries failed
>>>
>>> Here is the relevent part of config.log:
>>>
>>> configure:22342: checking goo/gtypes.h usability
>>> configure:22359: cc -c -I/usr/local/include/poppler
>>> -DPOPPLER_VERSION=\"0.10.6\"
>>> -I/usr/local/include/poppler  -I/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2
>>> -I/usr/X11R6/inclu
>>> de -I/usr/local/include/freetype1/freetype -I/usr/local/include
>>> -I/usr/local/inc
>>> lude/libpng   conftest.c >&5
>>> <command line>:4:18: missing terminating " character
>>> configure:22366: $? = 1
>>
>> Looks very much like an unsuitable (broken) shell.  What is your bin/sh.
>
> Proper /bin/sh: "sh - public domain Bourne shell"
>

>> You may have to use a better shell, e.g.,
>>        CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ./Build
>> or equivalent.
>
> I would rather not pull in bash into the dependency trail if I don't
> have to. The rest of the TL build is quite happy with /bin/sh.

You are not alone, debian dash shell can't be used either.

<http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2009q2/000519.html> mentions
the libtool issue:

  -----------
maybe you have to run
 	./Build CONFIG_SHELL=<good_shell>
not
 	CONFIG_SHELL=<good_shell> ./Build
where <good_shell> is a shell that understands function and constructs
like 'VAR+=VAL' (required by libtool).
  -------------

With Ubuntu 8.10 some weeks ago I needed "CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
./Build CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash"!

Debian provides /usr/bin/checkbashisms, which reports many problems
from the configure scripts in TL, but some of those may not actually be
used, and there may be other scripts (libtool) where the problems occur,
and TL should not have to deal with them.  Upstream should be aware of
the issue by now, so eventually you may not need bash, but at present
it may be the only option.

> I have not had a chance to look into this just yet.
>

> --
> Best Regards
>
> Edd Barrett
> (Freelance software developer / technical writer / open-source developer)
>
> http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia