[tlbuild] texworks: libpoppler.so.4 from where?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jun 16 08:29:26 CEST 2009

Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> The former was compiled by me on Debian/sid, that is not the best
>> option. I will try to compile on Debian/lenny for that. The problem is
>> that we either ship with deps on libpoppler.so.4 or .3. Bummer.
>
> Hi Norbert,
>
> maybe a bummer, but not necessarily so. Do the newer systems that come with
> libpoppler.so.4 also have a libpoppler.so.3 (as distros sometimes do for
> backwards compatibility)?  If so, we should definitely ship a version using
> that older library.

I have set up a 'texworks' command like this, locally:

    #!/bin/sh
    # find me
    MYEXE=`which texworks`
    BINDIR=`pathname $MYEXE`
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BINDIR/../tw-dir
    $BINDIR/../tw-dir/texworks "$@"

and in tw-dir/, I have the compiled executable texworks as well as
hunspell, poppler and Qt4 .so libs. This mimics the windows approach
of having local dynamic libraries, and it seems to work.

Best wishes,
Taco