[tlbuild] Failure in building TL2009 on Cygwin (ICU)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:36:56 CEST 2009

On 7 Jun 2009, at 14:02, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 6/7/2009 8:44 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>> Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
>>> After the merging to trunk of ICU patches, the build fails as
>>> follows:
>> Now after a fresh checkout it has been completed with 307 binaries
>> installed.
>> Now that the ICU patches have been applied,...
>
> First, thanks for applying the patches, Jonathan.  I have one
> trivial remark.  It looks like you applied an early version of the
> ICU patch rather than the one I sent you privately on May 19.  ...

Oops, sorry about that. As you note, it doesn't really affect
anything, just looks confusing; anyhow, I'll fix it.

By the way, regarding the other ICU patches you sent, you'll notice
that I have not applied these. They relate to the regular expression
engine, but that part of ICU is not used by xetex, so they're
irrelevant for our build. (And for the future, I expect to update to
the latest release of ICU at some point -- though certainly not before
TL'09.)

Regarding the naming of ICU's Features.h, and the conflict with gcc's
features.h under Cygwin, have you reported this to the ICU project?
Whenever we import a new ICU release, the problem is liable to return
unless it is fixed in the upstream sources -- or you find a way to
resolve it through appropriate setting of #include paths during the
build. (What does the cygwin port of ICU do?)

JK