[tlbuild] Error testing build from repository

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jun 7 02:53:15 CEST 2009

On Sa, 06 Jun 2009, John Minter wrote:
> said "Then run, e.g., latex small2e; the latex.fmt file should be
> automatically built and you should end up with a small2e.dvi
> file that you can, for example, view with xdvi or convert with dvips."

Ok.

> I built from a full svn checkout. I did notice the difference from
> my 2008 install but was hesitant to try and create the remaining
> pieces for fear of creating incompatibilities.

Of course, we are working towards 2009, there will be loads of
differences!

> I am *trying* to teach myself to be "up to this task." If there is
> some documentation I missed, I would appreciate a pointer.

you can call latex with -kpathsea-debug=-1 to get loads of output about
search paths etc etc, might help. THere you should also see why mktexfmt
wasn't called, and if it was called, why it didn't succeed.

Best wishes

Norbert