[tlbuild] texworks: libpoppler.so.4 from where?

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 4 00:10:56 CEST 2009

On 3 Jun 2009, at 22:52, Hartmut Henkel wrote:

> Hi Norbert,
>
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Mi, 03 Jun 2009, Hartmut Henkel wrote:
>>> trying to call texworks, i get here (debian lenny 2.6.26-1-amd64):
>>
>> x86_64 or i386?
>
> it's x86_64.
>
> btw, i naively just copied libpoppler.so.3 to libpoppler.so.4 and it
> indeed starts,

Although that may allow it to launch, it's definitely not a usable
solution. The change from .3 -> .4 presumably indicates a binary-
incompatible revision, so applications would need to be re-linked with
the correct version.

> but upon loading the .tex file it crashes.

Is there a corresponding .pdf file already existing? If so, texworks
will try to open this alongside the .tex file -- in which case I'm not
surprised it crashes, as your poppler library is an incompatible
version.

If you don't have a .pdf for the .tex file you were trying to load,
then the crash indicate some other kind of problem, and we should try
to figure out what it is.

JK