[tlbuild] #!/usr/bin/perl in a few scripts to be changed to #!/usr/bin/env perl

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Tue Jun 2 23:20:40 CEST 2009

"AS" == Apostolos Syropoulos writes:

 >> the following scripts are using #!/usr/bin/perl (sometimes with a -w
 >> option):
 >>
 >> Could they be changed to #!/usr/bin/env perl

 AS> I am using Perl almost a decade and I am always using the first
 AS> notation. I have use it in hp-ux, linux slackware and Solaris
 AS> 7,8,9,10 and OpenSolaris!

we have at least 27 other executables installed in TL, which are already
using this "#!/usr/bin/env perl" notation.

at the very least we should go with uniform approach for all scripts,
and "#!/usr/bin/env perl" seems less problematic.

arguably, more systems have /usr/bin/env than /usr/bin/perl, because
some systems could have perl in other locations, such as
/usr/local/bin/perl, and "#!/usr/bin/env perl" is more portable.

Best,
v.