[tlbuild] asymptote trials

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 22 02:08:12 CEST 2009

We are going to try to include asymptote.sf.net in TeX Live this year.
The source is checked into Build/source/utils/asymptote.  It is not yet
part of the build.  Peter is working on that, but meanwhile, there is a
good chance that there will be configure/compilation problems present in
the original, so if you have a chance to give it a now try, please do.

Just cd to that directory and run configure && make.  Don't bother
trying to install it anywhere now.

Two problems that I found on i386-linux debian sarge were
1) the make check done in the gc dir failed because of infrastructure,
   not anything real.  This can be omitted by running make GCLIB_CHECK=:

2) the g++ was old enough to fail to correctly handle the definition of
   camp::solvedKnot3.  This can be worked around by adding
   -DBROKEN_COMPILER to CFLAGS.

So I ended up building with:
make GCLIB_CHECK=: CFLAGS="-g -DOMIT_SOLVEDKNOT_DECL"

Other notes:

- it tries to use GSL (GNU Scientific Library) if it's present and new
  enough.  If it causes problems, there will be a --disable-gsl in the
  code within a day or two.  The actual GSL functionality is minor.

- it also tries to use OpenGL (-lglut et al.) if it's present.  This
  functionality is useful (3d rendering), so if it works on your system,
  that's probably good to keep, even though it induces a shared library
  dependency.  However, if the build systems are too old (as mine is),
  configure will probably detect that and disable it.  There will also
  be an explicit --disable-gl.

- for Windows and Cygwin, the asymptote maintainer (John Bowman) is
  building the binaries which (I believe) we will be able to
  distribute.  I'll commit them for testing in due course.

Please let us know the results if you give it a try.

Thanks,
Karl