[tlbuild] Building on Mac OS X

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sun May 17 18:51:56 CEST 2009

Peter,

> On Sun, 17 May 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
>
>> according to the log, configuring texk/web2c/ failed to find the X
>> headers
>> and libraries.  Can you look into texk/web2c/config.log for the
>> reason
>> and/or send me that file (preferably as mime type text/plain, not
>> application/octet-stream).

I am as impressed by your debugging skill as I am mystified by
stupidity at my end.

The short summary is that I've now compiled the latest svn sources and
got 304 binaries. Today I'll return to the original task, which was to
compile xindy.

DETAILS:

When I compile ghostscript for MacTeX, I produce two binaries, one
with X11 support and one without. To omit X11 support, I change /usr/
X11R6 to /usr/X11R6-temp and compile. Then I change /usr/X11R6-temp
back to /usr/X11R6. It turns out that when I compiled TeX Live
yesterday, I had two folders:  /usr/X11R6 and /usr/X11R6-temp.  The
first folder had a binary subdirectory, but no include subdirectory.
The second had both of these subdirectories (and others as well, of
course). When I made the second folder active, the problem went away.

How, then, did that defective /usr/X11R6 get there? Until a minute
ago, I blamed gremlins. Then a glimmer of an idea occurred to me,
which I am too embarrassed to put into words.

Many thanks.

Dick Koch