[tlbuild] ICU patches [was Re: xetex not being built]

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:44:59 CEST 2009

On 5/7/2009 8:41 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> In case you decide to apply some of Angelo's patches [1] in addition to
> the ones I submitted [2] (which are a subset of his), you should be
> aware that at least one of his is appropriate for cygwin-1.5 only and so
> shouldn't be applied to the overall source.  The one I know about for
> sure is the patch to XeTeXswap.h, which is needed for cygwin-1.5 but
> breaks the cygwin-1.7 build.  On the other hand, some of Angelo's
> patches are not cygwin specific and are probably appropriate for all
> systems.  As he said, some of them might be security patches.  I'm in
> the process of trying to sort this out.  I'll write again when I have
> more information.

Hi Jonathan and Peter,

I think I can clarify the situation with respect to the ICU patches now.

(a) The two patches I submitted previously [2] are needed for the cygwin
build of xetex and should have no impact on any other system.

(b) The cygwin port of icu also applies the attached pwin32.patch, which
again should have no impact on any other system.  I'm not absolutely
sure it's needed, but it's clearly harmless.

(c) The cygwin port of icu applies two other sets of patches (attached),
which are not cygwin-specific; they came from the gentoo port of icu and
some of them may have come originally from IBM.  I suspect they should
be applied also (for security?), but that's your call.

Regards,

Ken

[2] http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2009q2/000613.html