[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Wed May 6 17:43:08 CEST 2009

On 5/6/2009 8:32 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 5/6/2009 8:24 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>     http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2009-03/msg00422.html
>>
>> It will, however, require gcc-4.  So we're back to the issue of
>> teaching the texlive build system to statically link libstd++ when
>> using cygwin's gcc-4.
>
> This is actually discussed in the thread I pointed to above.  There may
> be a simple workaround:  CC='gcc-4 -static-libgcc', etc.  I'll try it.

Hi Peter,

You already knew this wouldn't work, but I don't want to leave
misinformation in the mailing list archives.  For the record, this idea
doesn't work.  I tried a build with CC=gcc-4 and CXX='g++-4 -static
-static-libgcc', but libtool swallowed the '-static'.  Now I understand
why you wrote

> ...setting up the mechanism to
> swindle the required flags into the resulting g++ command line, bypassing
> Libtool with its own interpretation of -static.

Regards,

Ken