[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Tue May 5 23:01:16 CEST 2009

On 5/5/2009 2:00 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> I think it can be done.

I just realized that there's a much simpler solution.  Namely, gcc-3
[the current default compiler in cygwin] links libstd++ statically by
default.  So building texlive with gcc-3 solves the problem.
Interestingly, the configure test still reports

   checking for statically linking C++ runtime library... not supported

but this doesn't matter.

With the future in mind, I still think it would be good to make static
linking work for gcc-4 in cygwin if that's not too hard.  [My reason for
saying this is that gcc-4 is undergoing serious development and should
be a much better compiler than gcc-3 in the relatively near future.  For
example, there is work underway to make gcc-4 support weak symbols in
cygwin, which has not been possible up to now.]  But you probably have
much higher priorities at the moment.

For the record, and in case anyone wants to try to replicate the build,
here's my current procedure for building texlive under cygwin-1.7, as of
revision 12937 of the svn sources:

1. Apply the two ICU-related patches that we discussed earlier (starting
in http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2009q2/000535.html).  I hope these
patches, or something like them, will eventually be applied upstream.
In the meantime, I'm happy to keep them locally.

2. Apply the following patch to xetex.am:

-xetex_cppflags = -DLE_USE_CMEMORY -I$(srcdir)/xetexdir
+xetex_cppflags = -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION -I$(srcdir)/xetexdir

I imagine that you will at some point be able to make the xetex build
system figure out on its own that -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION is needed
for cygwin, but, again, I'm happy to maintain this patch locally in the
meantime.

3. Run autoreconf in texk/web2c.  [Simply running automake doesn't work
because of a version mismatch.]

4. ./Build --without-graphite

5. Smile when you see

	./Build: 303 executables in /tmp/tl2009/source/inst/bin

$ cygcheck inst/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/xetex.exe
D:\cygwin-1.7\tmp\tl2009\source\inst\bin\i686-pc-cygwin\xetex.exe
   D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygwin1.dll
[...]
   D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygz.dll
   D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygfontconfig-1.dll
     D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygexpat-1.dll
     D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygfreetype-6.dll
     D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygiconv-2.dll
$ cygcheck inst/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/pdftex.exe
D:\cygwin-1.7\tmp\tl2009\source\inst\bin\i686-pc-cygwin\pdftex.exe
   D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygwin1.dll
[...]

Regards,

Ken