[tlbuild] [Dev-luatex] source repository

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue May 5 20:42:20 CEST 2009

Arthur,

On May 5, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>> But then I don't understand ... Dick claims to have built XeTeX from
>> TeX Live repositories without any problems.
>
>  Dicks builds PPC binaries on a PPC machine... don't you, Dick?
>
>> Anyway ... I'll disable XeTeX builds in this case. If any important
>> feature appears, I'll ask some Tiger user for help with building.
>
>  Judging by my feelings, I'd say we'd serve more users by building the
> oldest possible binary for Intel processors only, than by building
> only
> 10.5 binaries for both processors.  I'm trying to compile for Intel
> 10.4
> right now.
>
> 	Arthur

When I started compiling last year, I used magical incantations from
Jonathan, and these still work for me.

You are correct. I build PPC binaries on a 10.4 PPC machine after
setting the compiler to 3.3 using

	sudo gcc_select 3.3

I add near the top of the Build script

	export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3

(Karl recently put this in the build script, so this step is no longer
necessary).  Then I

	./Build --disable-pdfopen

I built Intel binaries on a 10.4 Intel machine. Note that 10.4 is the
oldest operating system for Intel. I use the default compiler and just

	./Build --disable-pdfopen

(Incidentally, for recent builds, pdfopen can be included.)

Next I lipo the results together. All of this works for me with the
latest binaries.

As for your last paragraph, I think we might as well continue this
process for 2009 since everything compiles (for me) on these systems.
That way we continue to support 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5.

There is a way, however, we could provide "binaries made with the
latest compiler technology" for users with up to date equipment. That
is to add Intel 64-bit binaries to the mix. I see no need to add PPC
64 bit binaries. We can add a flag when compiling for 64 bit so these
binaries will only be used on 10.5 and up machines (and of course only
on such machines with 64 bit processors).

Compiling for 64 bit works for me except that I have to disable
dialog, pdfopen, and xetex. Disabling xetex is the one step I don't
like.

My very preliminary tests show that 64 bit binaries don't increase the
speed of pdftex. I may not have good test documents; I use a 200 page
set of lecture notes with a lot of illustrations and typeset from the
command line. This document typesets so fast on my machine that we are
talking fractions of a second in any case, but 64 bit seems to take
very slightly longer.

I haven't had time to try optimization and other tricks for 64 bit,
but clearly there is no reason to include 64 bit binaries unless they
make a difference.

Dick Koch