[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue May 5 14:22:25 CEST 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Ken Brown wrote:

> I wonder if the problem with having both libz's pulled in during the cygwin
> build comes from the fact that -lz (brought in by libfontconfig) occurs too
> early in the list of libraries.  This forces both the system libz and the TL
> libz to be searched, and that's when problems begin.  ...

Hi Ken,

that might well be it, together with the fact that on Cygwin the "shared"
libraries are in fact small static ones with stubs refering to a dll (that
is at least my understanding).

> I could try to test this if you think it's worthwhile, but I won't bother
> if you're contemplating more drastic changes to the xetex build system.

At the moment I just don't know what the final xetex build system will be,
still lacking some information.  So if you can try something that might
help, please go ahead.

When I wrote am/xetex.am I wasn't fully aware of all the ordering problems,
so the order was to some extent dictated by the Automake conditionals
XETEX_MACOSX and XETEX_GRAPHITE, the fact that the libfreetype is used
for both mac and non-mac, and the knowledge that when libX requires libY,
then -lX must come before -lY.

It might be best to exactly use the library order as in xetexdir/xetex.mk.
Assuming you have automake-1.10 installed (not necessarily under Cygwin),
you could try to rearrange things in xetexdir/am.xetex.am and then run
Automake in texk/web2c/.  I shall eventually do just that, but you could
then get an immediate feedback by using the resulting texk/web2c/Makefile.in
(copying it if generated somewhere else) and running 'make' in the
texk/web2c/ Cygwin build directory.  That will first rebuild Makefile and
than (re-)build whatever isn't uptodate.

Regards
Peter