[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon May 4 16:01:06 CEST 2009

On Mo, 04 Mai 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> (1) TL binary build for the TL2009 CD. There we want system libraries only
> when absolutely necessary, a static libstdc++ if possible, and
> multi-platform install paths.  In TL2008 Cygwin was not included.
>
> (2) distro build of the TL tree (Cywin 1.5 and/or 1.7, Debian/SuSe/RedHat
> Linux for various architectures, etc.).
>
> There we certainly would use system libraries whenever applicable, most
> likely a shared libstdc++ (.so.6 for newer distros, maybe .so.5 for ancient
> ones), no multi-platform install paths, and possibly even a shared
> libkpathsea (currently not recommended).

100% agreed, thanks Peter for clarifying that.

Yes, the binaries we want to ship in TeX Live itself should be as
system-independent as possible, so as far as possible no linking of
shared libraries.

What distributors (and I count me there, too, for Debian) do is
something different. If there is support for shared libs linking than
that is perfectly fine, but the default should be static.

Best wishes

Norbert